What are human rights?
Rights and Freedoms
- Human rights are the ground rules for how we should treat one another: with dignity, respect, equality and fairness.
- Human rights are the basic rights and freedoms that belong to every person in the world, for no other reason than that they were born human.
- They set out basic standards for how people should be treated, including in emergencies.
- They help protect vulnerable people from the worst impacts of crises.
- Human rights are for everyone, everywhere, every day.