Freedom of Information
The Freedom of Information Act 1982 gives everyone a right of access to documents held by federal government agencies, subject to certain exemptions.
The Commission holds information in the following categories:
- administration matters including personnel and recruitment, accounts, purchasing, registers, registry and library records, and indices;
- conciliation matters including the investigation, clarification and resolution of complaints;
- legal matters including legal documents, opinions, advice and representations;
- research matters including research papers in relation to complaints, existing or proposed legislative practices, public education, national inquiries and other relevant issues;
- policy including minutes of meetings of the Commission, administrative and operational guidelines;
- operational matters including files on formal inquiries; and
- reference materials including press clippings, survey and research materials, documents relating to conferences, seminars and those contained in the library.
Who can make a request?
Any person, which includes persons resident in Australia or abroad, whether or not they are Australian citizens, companies, prisoners or children may make a Freedom of Information request.
Lodging a request
A request for documents must be in writing and provide enough information for the Commission to be able to identify the document(s).
As of 1 November 2010, there are no application fees associated with freedom of information requests.
Australian Human Rights Commission or HREOC?
The previous legal name of the Australian Human Rights Commission (before 5 August 2009) was the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission. You can use either name in your application and the Commission will assess your request against all information in its possession.
Send the request to:
Freedom of Information Officer
Australian Human Rights Commission
GPO Box 5218
SYDNEY NSW 2001
or to: email@example.com
For more information on the Freedom of Information Act please see the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet website at http://www.pmc.gov.au/foi/index.cfm