1981-86 Human Rights Commission: Reports
Australia's first federal Human Rights Commission was established by the Fraser Government under the Human Rights Commission Act 1981. This Act included a sunset clause (section 36) under which the first Commission ceased operation in 1986.
The first Commission was replaced by the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission (now renamed as the Australian Human Rights Commission) in December 1986.
The first Commission was a distinct statutory body from the current Commission. It should not be assumed that the present Commission necessarily endorses views expressed by or on behalf of the first Commission in every respect.
Reports from the 1981-86 Human Rights Commission are being placed on this site for research and historical purposes.
See also discussion papers.
Annual Reports of the 1981-86 Human Rights Commission are also available.
- Report No.1 The Australian Citizenship Act 1948 (Word) or PDF (August 1982)
- Report No.2 Proposed A.C.T. Mental Health Ordinance 1981 (Word) or PDF (October 1982)
- Report No.3 Testamentary guardianship in the Australian Capital Territory (Word) or PDF (April 1983)
- Report No.4 Human rights and the deportation of convicted aliens and immigrants (Word) or PDF (June 1983)
- Report No.5 Review of Crimes Act 1914 and other crimes legislation of the Commonwealth (Word) or PDF (August 1983)
- Report No.6 The observance of human rights at the Villawood Immigration Detention Centre (Word) or PDF (August 1983)
- Report No.7 Proposal for amendments to the Racial Discrimination Act to cover incitement to racial hatred and racial defamation (Word) or PDF (November 1983)
- Report No.8 Deportation and the family: a report on the complaints of Mrs M. Roth and Mr C.J. Booker (Word) or PDF (September 1984)
- Report No.9 Community Services (Aborigines) Act 1984 (Word) or PDF (January 1985)
- Report No.10 The human rights of Australian born children: a report on the complaint of Mr and Mrs R.C. Au Yeung (Word) or PDF (January 1985)
- Report No.11 Human rights of the terminally ill: the right of terminally ill patients to have access to heroin for painkilling purposes (Word) or PDF (March 1985)
- Report No.12 The Queensland Electricity (Continuity of Supply) Act 1985 (Word) or PDF (March 1985)
- Report No.13 Human rights and the Migration Act 1958_Report13 (Word) or PDF (April 1985)*
- Report No.14 Queensland electricity supply and related industrial legislation (Word) or PDF (May 1985)
- Report No.15 The human rights of Australian born children: a report on the complaint of Mr and Mrs M. Yilmaz (Word) or PDF (August 1985)
- Report No.16 Freedom of expression and Section 116 of the Broadcasting and Television Act 1942 (Word) or PDF (November 1985)
- Report No.17 The Passports Act 1938 (Word) or PDF (November 1985)
- Report No.18 The human rights of Australian-born children whose parents are deported (Word) or PDF (August 1986)
- Report No.19 Superannuation and insurance and the Sex Discrimination Act 1984. Part I - Superannuation (Word) or PDF (October 1986)
- Report No. 20 Complaints relating to the protest at Pine Gap, November 1983 (Word) or PDF (October 1986)
- Report No. 21 Civil disobedience and the use of arrest as punishment: some human rights issues (Word) or PDF (November 1986)
- Report no.22: Human Rights, family migration and disabled family members (Word) or PDF (November 1986)
- Report no.23: Review of the ACT Adoption of Children Ordinance 1965 (November 1986) *
* = digitisation pending.