Rights and Freedoms
Since the start of COVID-19, the Commission has advised the federal government, various committees and key organisations on a broad range of human rights topics including:
- the privacy protections of the COVIDSafe App.
- the gendered impact of the pandemic and economic response measures to address this
- the mental health impacts on children.
- measures to build social cohesion and combat the scourge of racism in the community.
- the increased risk to older people of elder abuse and employment discrimination during COVID-19.
- the vulnerability of people in immigration detention and of temporary visa holders in the community
- community solutions to keep Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples safe, and
- guidance for health and disability care providers for persons with disability.
- Some of our Commissioners also take part in pandemic-related Committees:
- Disability Discrimination Commissioner Dr Ben Gauntlett is also a member of the federal government’s Advisory Committee on Health Emergency Response to Coronavirus (COVID-19) for People with Disability.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Social Justice Commissioner June Oscar sits on the Kimberley Sustainable Regions Advisory Committee.