Skip to main content


Make a complaint

  • Download forms


    AHRC complaint form (142.83 KB)


    AHRC complaint form (199.5 KB)


    You can complete and submit a complaint online or you can print a hard copy and send it to us.

    If you would like the Commission to send you a hard copy complaint form or if you need assistance to write down your complaint, please call our National Information Service on 1300 656 419. 

    You can also contact us via the:

    Translating and Interpreting Service: 131 450 or or the

    National Relay Service: 1300 555 727 (Speak and Listen) or

    Submitting the complaint form

    The complaint form can be submitted by:

    Post: Australian Human Rights Commission, GPO Box 5218, Sydney NSW 2001

    Fax: 02 9284 9611


  • Authority to Act

    If you are lodging a complaint on behalf of another person, this person will need to provide authorisation for you to act on their behalf. They can do this by completing the attached Authority to Act form, which should be submitted together with the complaint form.  

    Authority to Act.doc (to be completed electronically)

    Authority to Act.pdf (to be completed by hand)

    Post to Director, Investigation and Conciliation Service, Australian Human Rights Commission, GPO Box 5218, Sydney NSW 2001

    Fax to 02 9284 9611

    Email to

Part 1 of 4 - Your Details (Your complaint)
The Commission requires you to provide your name and address in order to accept your complaint. Without these details, we will be unable to effectively assess, investigate or conciliate your complaint. The other fields are optional and you may choose whether or not to provide this information.
Mandatory field
Mandatory field
Mandatory field
Do you require assistance to participate in the complaint process?
Are you making this complaint on behalf of someone else (the aggrieved person)?
Do you have a legal representative or advocate?
Part 2 of 4 - Who is the complaint about?
Who is the complaint about?
(eg employer, landlord, provider of good and services)
(eg employer, landlord, provider of good and services)
Do you want to add another respondent?
(eg employer, landlord, provider of good and services)
(eg employer, landlord, provider of good and services)
Please provide as much information as possible about the organisation or person who your complaint is about. It is not necessary to complete all of these fields, but if it is not possible for us to identify who you are complaining about, we may not be able to process your complaint.
Part 3 of 4 - What are you complaining about?
I believe
There are limits on the types of complaints the Commission can consider. The Commission can only consider complaints about unfair treatment related to the reasons listed above.
The President of the Commission can decide not to investigate a complaint alleging unlawful discrimination where the complaint has been lodged more than twenty four (24) months after the alleged event(s) happened. If the event(s) being complained about happened more than twenty four months ago, please explain the reasons for the delay in making a complaint to the Commission.

For complaints alleging human rights breaches and discrimination in employment under the ILO Convention, the relevant time frame is twelve (12) months.
Describe the event(s) that you want to complain about. We need to know what you say happened, where it happened and who was involved. Please give us all the dates and other details you can remember. If you are complaining about employment, please tell us when you commenced employment, your job title and whether you are still employed.


Supporting Information

Please provide copies of any documents that support the claims in your complaint. For example – refusal / dismissal letter, separation certificate, doctors certificate. If you cannot do this, please tell us about the documents or other information and how this information can be obtained.

If you have any supporting information to add to your complaint, please forward them to the Commission by post, fax (02 9284 9611) or by email to

One file only.
100 MB limit.
Allowed types: pdf, doc, docx, txt, jpg.
Part 4 of 4 - Other information
Have you complained about this to another organisation?
For example, a state anti discrimination or equal opportunity agency, a workers compensation agency, an ombudsman or the Fair Work Commission. If you have complained to another agency, you must provide details of the complaint and its outcome. You should also attach copies of any letters you have received from the agency.
Were you referred to us by another organisation?
The Commission will use the information you provide to assess, investigate and/or conciliate your complaint(s).
Please note that if we accept your complaint(s), we will usually provide a copy (excluding your contact details) to the person or organisation you are complaining about and, if necessary, to others who have relevant information about your complaint.
Your personal information will be used and stored in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).