Multigenerational workforces: a guide to the rights of older workers under the Age Discrimination Act 2004 (Cth) (2019)
- Older Workers Resource Hub
- Multigenerational Workforces: Factsheet
Download PDF | Download Word
Australians are increasingly working to older ages.
As a result, there are now five generations working side by side in the workforce.
Older workers contribute significant value to the workplace in the form of:
- industry experience
- strategic thinking
- the ability to mentor younger workers
While older workers bring skills and knowledge to the workplace, age discrimination still presents a significant barrier to meaningful participation in the workforce. In 2016–17, 58% of age discrimination complaints received by the Australian Human Rights Commission (the Commission) were related to work.
This guide is issued under section 53(1)(f) of the Age Discrimination Act 2004 (Cth) (the Act). It is designed to provide employers and other work providers with:
• information about the operation of the Act
• practical guidance about promoting the inclusion of older workers in multigenerational workforces.
The guide may also assist employees and workers in understanding their rights under the Act.