Between 2014 and 2019 the Commission and the Global Compact Network Australia co-hosted the annual Australian Dialogue on Business and Human Rights. The Dialogues are multi-sector, multi-stakeholder events, that bring together leaders and experts to progress the business and human rights agenda.
Each year the Dialogues explored challenges and opportunities in relation to the implementation of the 2011 UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights in Australia and the region. The Dialogues attract over 100 representatives from Australia’s biggest companies, NGOs, government departments, investors, unions and academia.
The Dialogues have covered wide range of topics including:
- leadership on business and human rights
- the business ‘responsibility to respect human rights’
- embedding human rights due diligence in business, including supply chains
- providing victims access to remedy
- business and state-based based grievance mechanisms, including the Australian OECD National Contact Point
- best practice in responding to new modern slavery laws
- elevating the voices of workers and affected communities within efforts to address modern slavery
- working with and protecting human rights defenders
- human rights and climate change
- bringing a human rights lens to Indigenous engagement
- working in countries where national laws conflict with international human rights standards
- ensuing a living wage for workers
- bringing a gender lens understanding business impacts
- national action plans on business and human rights.
Summaries and Agendas for each of the Dialogues are linked below.
2019 Australian Dialogue on Business and Human Rights:
Doing Business with Respect for Human Rights in the Asia-Pacific Region
Recognising the importance of the Asia-Pacific region as a major trading partner and host to many suppliers and customers of Australian companies, the theme for the 2019 Dialogue was Doing Business with Respect for Human Rights in the Asia Pacific Region. Speakers at the sixth annual Dialogue on 17 October 2019 in Melbourne included business, NGO and human rights defenders from Australia and throughout the Asia-Pacific the region.
- Read more here
2018 Australian Dialogue on Business and Human Rights:
Embedding Human Rights in Global Supply Chains: Modern Slavery and Beyond
- Read more here.
2017 Australian Dialogue on Business and Human Rights:
Effective Human Rights Due Diligence
2016 Australian Dialogue on Business and Human Rights:
Stakeholder engagement: Building relationships to advance human rights
- Read more here
2015 Australian Dialogue on Business and Human Rights:
Moving from policy to practice: Implementing business-related human rights responsibilities
2014 Australian Dialogue on Business and Human Rights:
Challenges and opportunities for Australian businesses at home and abroad
Read more here.